Friday, August 1, 2008

Week 3

Down 1.6 lbs (5.8 total)

I have two words for you this week: Dim and Sum. If you are ever tempted, don't do it. I discovered that it is impossible to eat these seemingly small objects while counting points. I had a business luncheon and our guest picked Dim Sum as his choice of nosh. I thought to myself "I'll just stay away from the deep-fried ones, eat slowly and in moderation". Thank God I had a plan. Well, it turns out that even the most innocuous looking, rice-wrapped, shrimp-stuffed, two-bites-and-its-gone, morsel is over 200 calories for 100 gms. I left lunch feeling dissatisfied because the most yummy stuff, the deep fried squid and the deep-fried shrimp rolls and the sticky rice packets, were only tasted in passing. When I got back to the office I did some internet trolling to see if there was a calorie chart anywhere for these things. Sure enough Hong Kong's department of public safety (I can see why) had a listing. My moderate, unsatisfying lunch had conservatively cost me around 32 points. The sodium levels were off the charts. So, the next time someone says lets do Dim Sum I am going to invent an allergy to pork and gently steer them toward a fabulous sushi restaurant.

On a happier note I have come up with a quick pasta recipe that has great taste and only puts 9 points in the bowl. I dice about 1/4 cup of sweet onion, 1/4 cup of red pepper, and a 1/2 cup of zucchini, saute them in a teaspoon of olive oil until soft, add dried oregano, a dash of red pepper flakes, and stir. Then add 1/2 cup of commercial marinara sauce (around 60 cals), a dash of red wine vinegar, and simmer. Once the 2 oz. of dried spaghetti goes into the boiling water I add 100 gms of fresh or thawed prawns to the sauce (about 6 to 9 depending on size). Once the pasta is al dente, I drain, put into my favourite pasta bowl, top with the sauce and sprinkle 30 gms of light Feta cheese over the top. Yummy, a sort of Greek prawn dish with a little kick. While I eat it I imagine I'm sitting on the deck of one of those fabulous Greek island houses with Meryl, watching Colin Firth walk up the hill toward me. In my fantasy Abba is still playing but Colin discovers he isn't gay after all!

No comments: