Sunday, March 1, 2009

Week 8

Down 3 (19.6 lbs total)

I had a hard time this week. My back has started to protest at the yoga practice, twinging whenever I bend from the hip and producing that elastic-band-snapping feeling if I twist. A herniated disc, damaged in my teens, has often surfaced whenever I try to begin an exercise program. I had thought that yoga with its controlled movement and implicit stretching, would prevent this from happening but some severe spasms while walking yesterday have proved me wrong. I need to exercise to keep the weight loss going and to get to a healthy level of fitness for a 50 year old woman but I have consistently had back pain and have even landed in hospital when I try to pursue working with weights, fitness walking, a sport I like. I need to strengthen my stomach muscles to support my back but I need my back to work my stomach. I am well-versed in all of the prevention techniques, I know what needs to happen to control the herniation, but all exercise involves hip movement of some kind - even swimming. I also know that the weight puts a huge strain on the lower back and that it needs to come off to ensure a pain-free future. I will take the week off of yoga and walking to let the disc subside but I have to find a way forward - I can't let this be the excuse that stops me from succeeding.

No comments: